NOW HIRING: Senior Designer
See below for job descriptions and instructions on how to apply.
We do not accept manuscripts. However, potential freelance writers may submit query letters that include well-defined story ideas and published clips to firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to be considered, you must include 3-5 clips, a resume, and cover letter. You must be familiar with the magazine and the magazine’s style. Please, no telephone calls.
We do not accept unsolicited photos. If you are interested in becoming part of our team of freelance photographers, send a query letter to email@example.com. This letter must include links to your work as well as your complete contact information. Please, no telephone calls.
Assignments and Fees
Articles should follow the New South Media style guide (given when assigned or upon request), should be thoroughly fact-checked, and include a list of the story’s sources with contact information. Stories must include headlines and subheads and end with business information, as indicated in the style guide. Writers will receive contracts and W-9s upon being given their first paid assignments.
When a story is assigned to a freelance writer/photographer who has never worked with New South Media before, the assignment is unpaid for the first time. If the relationship continues, a contract will be sent to the writer with payment details for any subsequent article. Checks are mailed on the 15th of each month after the issue hits stands. New South Media does not pay for travel expenses.
Assigned photographers must fill out a photo release form in addition to a contract and W-9.
We are now seeking bloggers for the WV Sound blog. Bloggers are unpaid. Blogs at wvliving.com and mywvwedding.com are evolving, and applicants should e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Interns at New South Media are unpaid. Internships are offered year-round in the areas of editorial, photography, administrative, marketing and advertising, and web and video. To be considered, send a resume, cover letter, and samples of your work to email@example.com. Anyone interested in an internship must be familiar with the company's publications and be a team player and self-starter with flexible hours.
New South Media, Inc., the publisher of award-winning magazines WV Living, WV Weddings, Morgantown, and West Virginia Focus, and custom publications Explore and The Ultimate Sports and Travel Guide to the New Big 12, seeks a Senior Designer to work across all publications. The Senior Designer needs to have the ability to manage tight deadlines while maintaining a flawless attention to detail and continually producing smart ideas and concepts on how to visually tell stories. She/he must be able to take direction and constructive criticism as well as working with an eagerness to continue learning. Must possess strong typographic skills and a sophisticated design sense. This position is based in Morgantown, West Virginia.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Extensive knowledge of typography, layout, and sophisticated design sensibility. Must have strong brand sense.
- Must be a conceptual thinker with the ability to put on an editorial hat and craft something that elevates the content
- Adapt quickly to different aesthetics; fast, efficient, confident.
- Demonstrates strong attention to detail with the ability to design multiple projects simultaneously.
- A discerning eye for photography and strong color sense.
- Eagerly collaborative and a creative brainstormer
- Great attitude, an eagerness to be a part of the team, and the drive to learn more and do more.
- Execute the design of bi-monthly publications and a rotating list of speciality publications.
- Collaborate with Publisher, Managing Editor, and design staff in the production and implementation of all projects assigned.
- Be accountable for the leadership and direction of the creative process within assigned teams.
- Maintain proper communication with editorial staff to ensure expectations are understood, objectives are achieved & deadlines are met
- Manage a large volume of work with tight deadlines, and manage your own time.
- Minimum 3 years studio or editorial design experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in design-related field
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- A keen understanding of the print production process—preparation of print ready files, proofing, etc.
- Firm knowledge of web/interactive design and usability is a bonus.
We’re looking for applicants who are organized, ambitious, and strong, creative communicators. To be considered, send resume, cover letter, and portfolio link to firstname.lastname@example.org.