NOW HIRING: Senior Designer, Editorial Position, Web & Social Media Manager
See below for job descriptions and instructions on how to apply.
We do not accept manuscripts. However, potential freelance writers may submit query letters that include well-defined story ideas and published clips to email@example.com. In order to be considered, you must include 3-5 clips, a resume, and cover letter. You must be familiar with the magazine and the magazine’s style. Please, no telephone calls.
We do not accept unsolicited photos. If you are interested in becoming part of our team of freelance photographers, send a query letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. This letter must include links to your work as well as your complete contact information. Please, no telephone calls.
Assignments and Fees
Articles should follow the New South Media style guide (given when assigned or upon request), should be thoroughly fact-checked, and include a list of the story’s sources with contact information. Stories must include headlines and subheads and end with business information, as indicated in the style guide. Writers will receive contracts and W-9s upon being given their first paid assignments.
When a story is assigned to a freelance writer/photographer who has never worked with New South Media before, the assignment is unpaid for the first time. If the relationship continues, a contract will be sent to the writer with payment details for any subsequent article. Checks are mailed on the 15th of each month after the issue hits stands. New South Media does not pay for travel expenses.
Assigned photographers must fill out a photo release form in addition to a contract and W-9.
We are now seeking bloggers for the WV Sound blog. Bloggers are unpaid. Blogs at wvliving.com and mywvwedding.com are evolving, and applicants should e-mail email@example.com for more information.
Interns at New South Media are unpaid. Internships are offered year-round in the areas of editorial, photography, administrative, marketing and advertising, and web and video. To be considered, send a resume, cover letter, and samples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Anyone interested in an internship must be familiar with the company's publications and be a team player and self-starter with flexible hours.
Accepting applications for a position that requires strong writing, copy-editing, and management skills with 3-5 years of magazine or comparable experience. Submit cover letter, resume (including references), and 3-5 writing samples to email@example.com.
New South Media, Inc., the publisher of award-winning magazines WV Living, WV Weddings, Morgantown, and West Virginia Focus, and custom publications Explore and The Ultimate Sports and Travel Guide to the New Big 12, seeks a Senior Designer to work across all publications. The Senior Designer needs to have the ability to manage tight deadlines while maintaining a flawless attention to detail and continually producing smart ideas and concepts on how to visually tell stories. She/he must be able to take direction and constructive criticism as well as working with an eagerness to continue learning. Must possess strong typographic skills and a sophisticated design sense. This position is based in Morgantown, West Virginia.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Extensive knowledge of typography, layout, and sophisticated design sensibility. Must have strong brand sense.
- Must be a conceptual thinker with the ability to put on an editorial hat and craft something that elevates the content
- Adapt quickly to different aesthetics; fast, efficient, confident.
- Demonstrates strong attention to detail with the ability to design multiple projects simultaneously.
- A discerning eye for photography and strong color sense.
- Eagerly collaborative and a creative brainstormer
- Great attitude, an eagerness to be a part of the team, and the drive to learn more and do more.
- Execute the design of bi-monthly publications and a rotating list of speciality publications.
- Collaborate with Publisher, Managing Editor, and design staff in the production and implementation of all projects assigned.
- Be accountable for the leadership and direction of the creative process within assigned teams.
- Maintain proper communication with editorial staff to ensure expectations are understood, objectives are achieved & deadlines are met
- Manage a large volume of work with tight deadlines, and manage your own time.
- Minimum 3 years studio or editorial design experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in design-related field
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- A keen understanding of the print production process—preparation of print ready files, proofing, etc.
- Firm knowledge of web/interactive design and usability is a bonus.
We’re looking for applicants who are organized, ambitious, and strong, creative communicators. To be considered, send resume, cover letter, and portfolio link to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Founded in 2008 by Nikki Bowman, New South Media, Inc. is a multimedia company that publishes regional lifestyle and travel magazines for a national audience. New South Media, Inc. publishes WV Living, Morgantown, WV Weddings, WV Living Outdoors, and West Virginia Focus. Custom publications include the Explore brand, Wonderful West Virginia, and The Ultimate Sports & Travel Guide to the Big 12. We are seeking a Web & Social Media Manager to oversee all of New South Media’s websites and social media accounts.
The Web & Social Media Manager will maintain and develop content and design on wvliving.com, mywvwedding.com, morgantownmag.com, and wvfocus.com. He or she will oversee all of New South Media’s social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Google+. In addition, the Web & Social Media Manager will be responsible for email marketing. The position is full-time and located in Morgantown, West Virginia. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Web content: Manages and uploads web content, including articles, blogs, online store products, and web ads. Works with editorial team and outside bloggers for content. Works with advertising team for web ads.
- Web design: Addresses issues with web design and usability. Works with designers to create graphics.
- Web development: Tracks new technologies, practices, and concepts and implements them as needed.
- Social media: Develops social media content across platforms for all publications. Engages with each publication’s audience with a unique voice.
- Email marketing: Develops content for email marketing and promotes newsletters.
- Reporting: Creates analytics reports containing website and social media statistics.
- Familiarity with content management systems, HTML, and CSS.
- Familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Google+.
- Ability to work across multiple brands with unique voices.
- Project/campaign management and development.
- Copywriting and editing.
- Demonstrates high-degree of self-motivation.
- Ability to work with and manage both internal and external teams.
- Demonstrates strong organizational skills.
A Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or related field is required, as well as 2-3 years experience in marketing, public relations, or media/journalism field.
How to Apply
Send resume, cover letter, and work samples to email@example.com. Deadline for applications is Friday, December 12, 2014.