Jan 21, 2014 03:14 PM WV State of Mind
Uncover West Virginia's best-kept secrets.
We jacked it up!
This past Sunday we hosted our third annual WV Weddings Extravaganza at the Bridgeport Conference Center. And by all accounts, it was our best yet! Fayette County native Monte Durham, the fashion director for Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta, entertained and educated brides from all over the state—and then stayed an extra two hours to sign autographs and meet with brides one-on-one. In addition to Monte’s luncheon keynote address, where he gave useful and practical advice to brides on how to look their best on their big day, some of the state’s finest wedding experts led hour-long sessions on everything from lessons learned to DIY party planning ideas to make-up demonstrations. Thanks to all of our sponsors!
Here are a few of our favorite Monte-isms:
1. As for makeup: You don’t want to be painted like the shed out back, honey!
2. If you get married in a church, wear a veil. All the pomp and circumstance that traditionally goes with a church wedding is part of what makes it a beautiful experience.
3. Set the tone for your wedding with save the date announcements.
4. The most important dress after the bridal gown is the mother of the bride’s.
5. The three things you need to transform for your reception: chandelier earrings, red lipstick, and a smoky eye pencil.
6. Thinking of short bridesmaid gowns? Don’t. Go long.
7. Trying to decide if you should wear your hair up or down? Wear it up. Kate Middleton made a mistake wearing her hair down. Just look at the photography of the royal family on the balcony.
8. When being walked down the aisle, lock your elbows and hold your bouquet down. Don’t let it be pulled up to your chest.
9. And of course: Don’t be afraid to jack it up!
Click here to see more from the 2014 Extravaganza.
We encourage you to share your thoughts in the comments, but please be advised that any disparaging comments that come to our attention will be removed.