1 box spice cake mix
1 (15-ounce) can pureed pumpkin
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For Making the Cake
1. Preheat oven to 350° and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In medium bowl, combine cake mix, pumpkin, and oil and beat until smooth.
3. Scoop out dough balls, about 1 tablespoon each, onto parchment paper and bake until the tops of the cookies spring back when pressed with a finger, about 10 minutes.
4. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.
For Making the Filling and Assembling the Pies
1. In medium bowl, beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth.
2. Add confectioners’ sugar slowly, beating to combine until well blended.
3. Add vanilla extract and blend until mixture is smooth and spreads easily.
4. Spread or pipe filling onto flat bottoms of half the cookies. Use unfrosted half to make the tops of the cookie sandwiches.
5. Chill cookies until ready to serve.
Makes about 12 pies.